Re: [IPk] What's worth getting and what's not!

Hi Jo

The thing that I remember most about the Accu-Chek system with the PDA
etc was that the infrared ports can be tricky to line up and the data
transfer from one device to another can be slow. At a few conferences
in 2005 Roche staff had some trouble getting the demonstrations to
work. Of course, one could say it was new, and they were new at it,
but everyone's new at something once - so you too could find it takes
practice to get the devices to "talk" to each other. I remember the
devices needed to be held up or placed on a table very close to each
other to align the IR ports, which might not be practical when you are
out and about.

As for what's available and what's not -
Remember that in the American system patients themselves often pay 30%
of the cost of the pump + consumables. The retail price of a pump is
about $6000 so that's $2000 from the patient. Consumables run about
$500 a year out of pocket for patients. Health insurance companies can
decide whether or not to pay for accessories like the software and
PDA. Even though the PDA runs software that can improve a user's
experience of the pump, software or a PDA is not necessarily going to
improve someone's health on its own the way the pump can. So it is
possible that in addition to the bill for 30% of the pump's price the
American patients who go on the Roche pump are also paying the full
cost of the PDA and the software, as well as buying their own meter
and paying for 30% of the cost of all their test strips (retail price
about 75 US cents each = 30% is about 25 cents) and insulin (Humalog
or NovoLog is usually $70/vial = $20 average cost to the patient).
Health insurance premiums keep going up: all those costs above may be
on top of a fee of around $200/month + $25-$40 each time someone sees
a doctor.

There is more choice and competition in the US market because
healthcare is commoditized: someone who decides to go on a pump might
have to skip a holiday in order to afford it. Some fortunate people
are able to spend pre-tax income on their healthcare; others are stuck
spending money that they've paid income tax on. The other side of the
healthcare-as-commodity coin is that 44 million Americans lack health
insurance so either can't afford or choose not to see a doctor when
they should.

Melissa
Type 1 15 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 4.5 years;
tried both the US & UK systems and chose the UK one