Re: [IPk] Basal Rate/Chart

Hi Laura,

The rise you're seeing between 12 a.m. and 3 a.m. is probably not
fine. Your bg should not go up more than 2 mmol/L on its own in the
space of 3 hours; if it does, your basal is not working. A rise of
almost 5 mmol/L in 3 hours is a lot. If I were you I would try raising
the basal rate by .2 from 12 a.m. to 7 a.m. and see if that heads off
the dawn phenomenon you're experiencing. The fact you got to 9.3 at 3
a.m. and shot up to 14.4 by 6 a.m. indicates that your liver was very
deprived of insulin so it released a lot of extra glucose by itself.

It is a common misconception that dawn phenomenon occurs only after 4
a.m.; in fact it can happen earlier or later depending on your body,
and the time that it happens can change around too. I went through a
phase (4 months) last year when I had to double my basals from 1 a.m.
to 3 a.m. in order to prevent a very high bg on waking. I asked my
consultant about it and he said, "Whatever works, you know this whole
dawn phenomenon thing is not very specific but we all know it when we
see it."

Hope this helps

Melissa
Type 1 15 years; MiniMed pumper 7.5 years; Animas pumper 4.5 years;
most mornings *flat* overnight bg history on the screen of my CGM
receiver - never thought I'd see it but with a lot of fine tuning I
got there