RE: [IPk] What's worth getting and what's not!

Hi Jo

I have no personal experience to the Accu_check pumps though have seen them and
been to demos.  I would be interested to know what users think of   the  Pocket
Compass software and PDA.

Jackie

> Hi All
>
> Thanks for your replies, given food for thought or should I say a bit more of
> a head spin...
>
> Jackie, I do suffer from nighttime hypo's that I sleep through, I find out
 > that I had one when I wake up not being able to see well, banging headache
etc
 > used to put it down to migraines!! Took ages to crack onto what was going on,
> it wasn't until I did the DAFNE course, realised that the reading I was
> getting on these mornings were actually rebound hypo readings rather than the
> good match from the night before....
>
> So yes the ability of having a combined CGMS would be a very good idea, until
> one realises that I would have to foot the bill for this out of my own
> pocket...  the hospital only has one CGMS and that is in the paediatric
> department not for the adults....
>
> The other bit the Bolus wizard seems to be a very handy feature indeed, and
> yes this bit is of great interest for me.  I do understand that even though
> this isn't a feature contained on the spirit pump, roach get around this by
> having software for a PDA, that does similar...  So might provide the
> answer...
>
 > The increments side of things, this is the difficult one, due to I'm not
going
> to know how much need I'm going to have for a very fine increment until I
> actually start pumping...  As for fine tuning at this point of time, I really
> want to avoid the hypo's, stop a lot of the high BG's and sit around the mark
> that helps to protect further damaged to my kidneys will be fine by me and of
> cause the ability to adjust quickly to how my day is panning out...  the
 > ability to turn the insulin off rather trying to have to feed the insulin
I've
> got on board to try to prevent a hypo when what was going to be my routine
> goes belly up will be brilliant...
>
 > what I've done is e-mailed roach explaining that I'm starting pump therapy,
as
 > the hospital using the Accu-Chek spirit as there choice of pump, can they
send
> some information about what is included in the basic pump package, info on
> tubes/connectors and more information of the Pocket Compass software and what
> PDA or Specs they recommend to use with the software etc...
>
> So I will have a look at this before I finally decide,
>
> At the moment hubby is saying go with the hospital choice and make life much
> easier for yourself!  I think at this point of time it is a case will the PDA
> and Pocket Compass software make up for built in features of other pumps?
>
> Jo

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080406-0, 06/04/2008
Tested on: 06/04/2008 23:35:22