RE: [IPk] - frustrated confusion

Hi There

I have just read all the posts re pregnancy and diabetes and would like to
tell you my experiences.

I was diagnosed diabetic when I was 21 and had my first baby at 26. I was
not seen any more frequently than non-diabetics and had just 2 scans from
beginning to end. This was 16 years ago.
I didn't test BG at all! Labour was induced at 38 weeks and my daughter
weighed 8lbs 8oz.
My second pregnancy was different, I kept having bad hypos, ending up in
hospital. My father-in-law bought me my first meter to test my BG's.  A few
more scans this time and he, too was born at 38 weeks ( induced ) and
weighed 9lbs.
My third however, wasn't planned and, although my BG's are always within
range ie <7 I started to get enormous. I had many more scans this time and,
realising this one was bigger. had labour induced at 37 weeks. He was born
weighing 12lbs 5oz !!!! My consultant and Dr couldn't understand why this
had happened and put it down to the fact that perhaps I am just inclined to
have bigger babies.
When I discovered I was pregnant a fourth time, i was a bit wary. However,
she too was born at 38 weeks, weighing 9lbs.
Then a few years later we found out we were expecting number 5. Becky was
born almost 2 years ago and again born at 38 weeks weighing a tiny 7lbs 8oz.
As far as I am aware my treatment didn't vary that much so to have such
wildly differing birth weights is quite an anomoly.
I still have my BG results for my last pregnancy. I was using Actrapid and
Insulatard and was taking a total of 63 units on discovering I was pregnant.
My requirements started to increase at about 8-9 weeks and at the end had
risen to 99 units.
Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Jane