[IPk] Check out BBC NEWS | Health | Safety alert over diabetes checks

In message <email @ redacted>, Diana
Maynard <email @ redacted> writes
>I remember Gary Mabbutt once passed out dramatically after taking a big dose
>of insulin because his meter told him his BG was something like 20 mmol/l,
>when it was misreading because he'd dropped it previously (his BG was really

I can beat that for stupidity!  I had a fit of tidying up the car, and
used an empty strip can to put all the used strips in.  Which I then put
in my handbag.  And then used (without calibrating).  I felt a _little_
high, but was amazed to find I was in the high 20s.  A repeat test
confirmed it, so I put in a massive bolus, and went off to check ketones

The truth dawned half way through the ketones test .... I rushed off,
took a valid measurement, and found I was 12 or so.  Rapidly calculated
how much CHO I needed, and ate my way through half a pack of tabs, and
six lots of peanut butter on toast.

Worse to come: I forgot this incident completely when I went for my
check up, and worried Dr Pickup unnecessarily (I just sat there,
wondering how come I couldn't remember being that high!)

Oh well.... now I'm all grown up and officially clever, that won't
happen again!

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30+, 508 2+, terminally stupid)
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted

     "I have now got a pesitilent doctorate thesis to explore,
      when I would rather be doing something less useful ..."

                (JRR Tolkien Letter 176)