Re: [IPk] Pump or New Insulin

In message <email @ redacted>, Lesley Jordan
<email @ redacted> writes
> Indeed, and surely if you suffer from the dawn phenomenon it can only be
>adequately dealt with by a pump?
This is partially true: some people with dawn phenomenon find one of the
old basal insulins (e.g. monotard or insulatard) has enough of a peak to
cover the rise.  If the peak is not enough, you are right, the diabetic
has to choose between high morning bgs or low bgs later in the day.
Plus, these insulins are notoriously unpredictable, so the diabetic gets
random hypos.

So it's not quite as simple as saying 'if you have dawn phenomenon you
will need a pump to deal with it adequately'.  But rather, 'if you have
a dawn phenomenon, you will either find one of the shorter acting basals
adequate (coupled, of course, with dafne/pump style food assessment and
bolus dosage), or you will find that you meet the NICE criteria, due to
being unable to get the low Hba1cs without disabling hypos (either
because too much insulin has to be given to cover the rise, driving one
low later, or because of the unpredictability of the insulin).

Hope that helps,

(dm 30+, 508 2+)
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted

     "I have now got a pesitilent doctorate thesis to explore,
      when I would rather be doing something less useful ..."

                (JRR Tolkien Letter 176)