Re: [IPk] Nice Guidelines

In a message dated 4/16/2003 11:42:04 AM GMT Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I have seen various postings on here regarding the NICE report of February.
> Am
> I right to understand that Early Onset Diabetes and serious difficulty in
> control on MDI are valid reasons to warrent the PCT to consider funding?
Hi Julian,

There was considerable discussin of the subject on this list between January
and March, might be worth a look at the archives.

I haven't given an exact quote below of the key points, but near enough and
you can have a look at the complete document and other relevant items via

Essentially the criteria are: those on MDi unable to maintain an HbA1c of
7.5% or less (or 6.5% if microalbuminuria or adverse features of the
metabolic syndrome) without disabling hypoglycaemia occurring.  "Disabling
hypoglycaemia"  means the repeated and unpredictable occurrence of
hypoglycaemia requiring third-party assistance that results in continuing
anxiety about recurrence and is associated with significant adverse effect on
quality of life.

Your PCT is obliged to cooperate within three months, ie by end of May.  I am
having lots of fun with that at this end and will probably wax lyrical on the
subject some time! :-)

Hope this is of some help,