Re: [IPk] ketones- again

In a message dated 4/12/2003 11:50:57 AM GMT Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> . Whenever I can see that
> my bgs are not coming down, I will grab my syringe and then investigate my
> site/pump to see if there is a problem.

While giving injected insulin is obviously the crucial thing to do, it can
cause problems too.  With me the cause has almost always been a set where the
cannula has been sited outside the skin or too shallowly (I can't tell at the
time of insertion if this has happened).  If I gave injected insulin, it
would be hours and hours before I knew if the replacement set had been
inserted correctly - so I tend not to inject unless things are _really_ bad.
I wouldn't recommend this to others, but for me (who still has a problem with
sets) it works.

I also find that if you've got a high bg plus ketones, it can be really
difficult to get the bg down even with a set that's functioning properly.
Difficult - you don't want to overcorrect and go hypo, but that bg has to
come down.  Can take me a day to achieve but fortunately it doesn't happen