[IPk] Re:

email @ redacted writes:

> I've had Quick sets accasionally get bent - the most annoying thing is
> although they are bent and enough insulin is not going through to cause
> some fairly major highs, they never seem to get blocked enough to set
> off a no delivery. I'm not sure why though.
Hi Karen and Caroline,

Bent cannulae have caused me problems since I started pumping back in 2000,
though I guess that this "only" happens with about 1 in 10-15 sets these
days. I use Micro Sofsets. If the cannula kinks inside me but at not too
great an angle, I can get a slow trickle of insulin (so no alarm sounds) but
as it's at too shallow a depth absorption is poor and I get high results, not
necessarily ketosis.  If it kinks outside, ketosis develops within a couple
of hours as no insulin is actually getting in, but I don't get an alarm
because the insulin is pooling on my skin (I can't tell it's there) - those
days are write-offs (so I never change my set on a working morning...).

And then there are the occasions when the cannula pops out.  This doesn't
happen often nowadays, but when it does I've been doing something involving
strong abdominal muscle contraction (I use abdo sites), such as lifting heavy
furniture or exercises.  I had to give up abs exercises because of this (what
a disaster...:-) ).