Re: [IPk] Claire Ward

email @ redacted writes:

> To be politically correct your are not a diabetic but a person with diabetes
> Does this make things a little better?
> I now sometimes refer to myself as " a diabetic" and don't think I would
> mind
> if someone else referred to me as a " diabetic"
Hi Abi,

To some (many?) people, lay and medical, the term "diabetic" is scary.  I
have frequently heard the phrase "but she's diabetic" in social and work
situations.  Pre-pump control was horrendous (strangely enough, that's not
when I heard most of the phrases); I'd not had any embarrassing events (hypos
etc) in public for years so much of this was based on the knowledge that I
was diabetic and related assumptions. I have been given inappropriate food or
seen frowning faces etc on far too many occasions.  (Yes, I do correct them,
but that often seems to make things worse.)

My current work team are broadminded but still don't understand that I live
under some constraints even on the pump (yes - not for many of you perhaps,
but for me the insulin takes 90 mins to act and I have never managed to match
neat sugar etc absorption with insulin profiles).  Also, sadly, many older
relatives and friends won't look at my pump and find the tubing offensive...

IDDM 30 yrs+, 508 2+