[IPk] DKA, health funding and hypos while driving

>(I would be very, very
>interested to see some statistics on numbers of pumpers admitted to
>hospitals in DKA each year, if anyone has the info!!!!)

 I've never, thankfully, had DKA in my life. But alarmingly I woke up this
morning to find my pump lying in my bed disconnected from me!!! BG was "only"
14.4. I say "only" as I was half expecting it to be well up in the 20s or 30s
even. I did disconnect it late last night while getting our kids (back) into
bed. We had a typical crying baby domestic drama. It seems inconceivable that I
forgot to reconnect when I finally got back to bed - but evidently I did forget.
Yet I survived the night OK :-/

 Melissa - I read somewhere recently that the *public* funding of US healthcare
(the bit that the government puts in on top of all the private insurance
funding) is actually more per person that the entire funding of the UK NHS.
Curious. And yet on average the British are healthier than the Americans... I
guess this illustrates that different countries prioritise their health spending
in very different ways.

 Incidently, I got my 2nd ever copy yesterday of Medtronic MiniMed's new German
language pump magazine called "Bolus". (I'm British, but I live in Germany at
the moment) Got my 1st copy just before Christmas. It's about 50% pump and
diabetes news, and 50% general articles of interest like you get in Sunday
colour supplement magazines. Yesterday's issue is full of Paradigm promotion,
articles about taking your pump on holiday - good glossy stuff like that.

 I picked up another (free) diabetes magazine at my local chemist the other day
(a glossy one from one of the several national diabetes organisations in
Germany). This one had a major article about hypos in Type 1 diabetes. And it
was all good stuff. "We all have our own set of symptoms - which may change over
time. Get to know yours." A sub-article about how to test yourself for a hypo if
you haven't got your meter with you... little things like sticking your arms in
front of you, hands several feet apart, close your eyes and point your
forefingers to each other. Bring your hands together to touch your forefingers -
the more your miss by, the higher the chance you are hypo. Try it when you are
not hypo, and then when you are, to learn what margin of error represents a
possible hypo.

And there was a sub-article listing 5 points about hypos while driving:
1) Always test your BG when you get in the car;
2) Don't drive if your BG is under 5 mmol/L;
3) Always have glucose tablets easily accessible when you are in the car;
 4) On long journeys, test at least every 2 hours; (I used to do this, till I
had a major hypo at the wheel of my car during a very long journey 2 years ago.
Thankfully my wife wrested the steering wheel from the hands of my fitting body
and brought us in safely onto the hard shoulder. A terrifying experience. I now
test every hour - except I don't drive at all now after a nasty epileptic fit
following a brain operation last September)
 5) On the slightest suspicion of a hypo, break your journey immediately and

Plenty food for thought there...

mailto:email @ redacted