Re: [IPk] metres, testing etc

The advice to do less testing was clearly not a clever device on the part of
Graham's diabetes care team to get him to test more, or he would not have
been congratulated in return for doing so few tests. Sounds a rather
perverse, potentially very dangerous mind-game to pretend it's 'opposite
day' with a patient--some are so convinced that their doctors know better
than they do that 'medical advice' to drink bleach would be answered with
the question, 'Should I dilute it or drink it neat?'

If someone said to me 10 years ago that I didn't need to take my insulin in
order to bring me to the realisation, via DKA and hospitalisation, that I
DID need it, I would have socked him or her. Hard. Patients don't need to be
lied to or manipulated, they need straight talk, compassion, and not to be
condescended to.

Non-compliance in light of insufficient education is NOT the same as the
educated decision to feel terrible all the time for the sake of not looking
'diabetic'. Pat Reynolds's interest in the material culture of disability
comes to mind here--once we get over the idea of carrying around a meter all
the time and understand why it's a good idea to do so, it's a short step to
testing anywhere we can stand still enough to do it, IF we have been given
the education to make the testing worth it.

[going to get dressed and race off to the University Church now--catch y'all
later. Threat or promise? You decide ;) ]