Re: [IPk] testing

I remember being told not to 'chase' test results to cause hypos in the days
of 2 injections (isophane + regular at 7 a.m. and again at 7 p.m.). The
rationale my old consultant (now retired) gave for that (10 years ago) was
that I would not know when my isophane was going to peak and I was too young
to make the adjustments to Regular as I would wind up with R and NPH peaking
at the same time and have a massive hypo, end of discussion.

But (given my performance in school, if nothing else) at 13 I was clearly
capable of understanding the little graphs illustrating the peaking action
of insulin and of doing some simple maths. My DSN told my consultant what
was what about me. He never again asked me if I expected to see the Easter
Bunny or the Tooth Fairy after my first visit to his clinic.

After I'd gotten good at the correction dosing and insulin : food ratios (I
was actually taught a bit about carb counting before I went on a pump) and
had moved on to MDI, my DSN urged me to adjust my isophane by one unit at a
time if I noticed too many hypos or high bgs. I told her I didn't think that
was a good idea, and she almost shouted at me, 'Why do you think NPH is some
sort of sacred cow? If it's not working, change it! Change it!' That was all
the encouragement I needed, but I still phoned to tell her whenever I made
an executive decision to change the NPH.

IDDM 10 years; MiniMed pumper 6+ years