Re: [IPk] Blood Glucose Meters

I use a medisense optium meter. It has several advantages. Firstly like
many meters currently available it stores stacks of readings with date and
time. Secondly you can get hold of strips (if you call medisense they send
them and they are free) to test ketones as well as BG. Whilst I don't use
this very often ketone levels in blood rise sooner than ketone levels in
urine so theoretically you can pick up problems sooner (as far as I'm aware
the Medisense Optium meter is the only meter to have this feature). It also
takes AAA batteries (mine have lasted over 2 years) which is convenient.
It's never broken. Medisense have always been helpful when I've called them
(e.g. replace worn out lancing devices swiftly etc). It is completely
silent and easy to use discretely (takes 20s). I did drop my meter in the
snow and it took a few hours to recover after that but had no other
problems with it (and as far as I'm aware there are no water proof
meters!). It's not a tiny meter and the case it comes with is quite big. I
tend to wrap a hair band round the meter, some test strips and the lancing
devices and just keep it in my pocket. It seems to be pretty robust. I
quite like the ones which carry several strips inside them. However, the
main reason I got the Optium was the ketone testing feature.

Think the most important thing is to be happy with your meter. If there are
no huge problems with the Accu-Check I'd stick with it. Or even better try
carrying it everywhere for a week and see how you get on! Hope that helps

IDDM 6+ years, Pumper 3months