Re: [IPk] Testing bg;s as an in patient

The midwives called the medical
> docs to get them to authorise a drop in insulin. (I was on the a sliding
> scale). They refused! I was taken to an intensive care bed in the unit. My
> BG's continued to drop. I continued to be too ill to do anything. I
> distinctly the midwife at the time basically telling the medical doc,(who
> moaning, can you believe, about being called out yet again, during the
> hours, to adminsiter intravenous glucose to me), that she would call him
> every time I was ill and he would be held responsible for any long
> effects. He eventually allowed me to say that I wanted my insulin to drop,
> but finished with the words, 'On your head be it'!!!!!!!! Needless to say,
> made a rapid recovery thereafter!

What an incompetent arsehole!

There was a paediatric registrar when I was an SHO
he could not stand parents being informed re their childrens medical
condition. There was one little girlwho was severely ill with a urinary
tract infection but he would not authorise me to put her on IV meds nor
would he come out to see her for a long time. Mum was climbing the walls as
she had seen her this ill before and she had promptly been put on
intravenous antibiotics
There was also an 8 or 9 year old diabetic boy who came in with DKA due to
gastro eneritis. He was on a school trip. Mum and dad were very
knowledgeable and his control was very good with minimal hypos. This reg
maintained his BG in the teens on an insulin sliding scale and I mean in the
high teens. He has only been in the mid 20s on admission and he was on the
drip for almost 24 hours although the vomiting did not last this long. I am
sure he was doing it just to be vindictive to the parents. Surely BG can be
controlled without huge fluctuations on iv sliding scale and even if they
were worried about hypos they could have kept him say between 8 and 12, not
15 to 19

As regards the low carb foods: have people bring you in snacks and make sure
they remain accessible. Or refuse insulin until you have a promise that
sufficient carbs will become available.With a flexible regimen if you are
able to self dose this should not be a huge problem