[IPk] Testing bg;s as an in patient

I wonder if anyone can help either as a person who has had experience of
testing their own bgs in hospital or as a medic/diabetic. I was recently
caring for a laady in labour who was gestational diabetic who was being
treated with insulin. She required large doses ie 24 hr total 130-150 units
so in labour she needed a sliding scale of insulin which was altered every
hr according to her bg result. She was conscious and not using any pain
relief that might cloud her judgement. She was using a lifescan ultra
machine provided by the hospital and was running out of testing strips so I
tried to order some from pharmacy. what a surprise they don't stock them. I
then tried to contact the super friendly totally approachale DSN. I am still
reeling from the response!
quote  Inpatients are not allowed to use their own blood testing equipment
we have to use the Glucometer 4s which are callibrated by the biochemist.
(the results were the same or 0.1 mmols out compared to the Ultra that she
had given to the patient to use during her pregnancy and she was advising to
adjust her insulin according to those results) The fear being that we could
be sued for giving the wrong dose of insulin or whatever > I won't go any
further into the argument but she definately had not read the NSF for
diabetic people and empowering them. I am taking it further but want to hear
of other people's experiences. We need to be flexible and I want to ensure
that happens You can e-mail me off list if you would prefer but I would be
grateful forany opinions either way as personally I have always used my own
equipment when hospitalised pregnant or not CARMEL

Get Hotmail on your mobile phone