Re: [IPk] 4 vs 2 injections

So I'm an irrepressible optimist, what harm?

I first picked up an insulin pen in 1988, and thought, wow, this is great. I
didn't imagine then, only 14 yrs ago that I would discard it for an even
niftier pump!

I completely agree that because a cure is imminent does not mean we should
ease off on control. Au contraire! The whole idea is that we can keep up the
hard work of taking care of our diabetes, in the happy knowledge that it
isn't forever.

When I was at school, I did a lot of detention and other dreary disciplinary
stuff. I could have taken it badly, and said it would always be like this,
but I took real heart from the fact that once the time was done, I'd be back
to the same status as everyone else in the class.

I see diabetes in the same way. If it's for life, I'd find it harder to keep
trying so hard, especially because it gives us so many surprises. BUT.. I'm
convinced that it isn't going to be part of my life for very much longer,
and I believe that whatever a cure looks like, when it comes I won't have to
worry about progressive complications, they'll just stop as they are. In
that case, I want to arrive at that point in the best condition possible, so
I can work hard at the diabetes because it's just for a while.

I don't run marathons (boy, what an understatement!!), but I suspect they
use similar psychology. Stay positive. Why not? It's not an excuse to
slacken off, its an excuse to struggle on!!