[IPk] Re: Flights, holidays and Live on BBC.

I got my first pump at Guys as part of a trial run by Prof Harry Keene back
in 1982 - I was with Dr Martin Wiseman. It was part of a research project to
try and prove that better control meant less complications. The actual
project lasted 5 years and the results were, apparently unconclusive. The
pump was a Mill Hill infuser and you had to dilute insulin with saline. It
was about 4 times the size of my Minimed 506, cased in metal but changed my
Since then I have had pumps from Nova and Grazeby prior to getting the
Minimed. For about the first 9 years Guys supplied all the consumables (as
well as the pumps) and in return I did several other research projects for
them. My kidneys have had more function tests than most and I had a series
of brain scans with different sugar levels to measure what happens at
different levels. I did get some wonderful 3D pictures of my brain - the
surprise was it actually was there and working!
Hope that helps.
Best wishes,

Ian Grant