Re: [IPk] 4 vs 2 injections

John wrote:

> I also hold out hope for a cure sometime soon.
> But being a practical man, I am intensely aware that hoping for a cure does
> not slow down the progression of complications in my own body today. Only
> good diabetes control will do that. And if diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes
> as a baby, you have a very high risk of some complications by the time you
> are 20. That's the brutal truth of diabetes.
> When I was diagnosed 25 years ago, I was told that a cure would most likely
> be found very soon - probably within 10 years. Well, 10 years passed. No
> cure. Another 10 years? Still no cure. So when people say "ah, a lot of
> exciting progress in many areas" I shrug my shoulders and think, I've heard
> it before. In 1984, a researcher at my university told me of some exciting
> new research he was doing into coating beta-cells with a semi-porous skin,
> so the immune system can't kill them. Nearly 20 years later, I still read
> of this "exciting new research". And I read that the Edmonton Protocol is
> not available for people for whom normal diabetes treatment works, due to
> fears about the complications caused by long-term use of the anti-rejection
> drugs.
> Sorry if this is slight depressing, but I do take a realistic view! :-)
> John

Hi John

I agree with all you have written and although I hope that there will be a
cure I rarely think about for all the reasons you have mentioned.  As you say
we have to do the best we can to keep good control without making life too
restricted.  I do worry a lot about what Sasha's future will be like as she
has had diabetes since she was four years old.