Re: [IPk] 4 vs 2 injections

>Am I a cynic? When I hear someone say 'I'll be happy when I have really good
>control', I sometimes wonder if they are saying 'I can't really accept that
>I have diabetes'. I've experienced denial, but dealt with it in a differnet
>way, by ignoring the diabetes. I suppose I'm basically offering a little
>caution to the idea that more tech is the answer, or shaving 0.2% off my
>HbA1c will improve my life. We should stop once in a while to ask a more
>basic question. Can I accept this common, manageable condition for a few
>more years until a cure is available, and in the meantime, which of us will
>be in control of my life?

Tony -

I also hold out hope for a cure sometime soon.

But being a practical man, I am intensely aware that hoping for a cure does
not slow down the progression of complications in my own body today. Only
good diabetes control will do that. And if diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes
as a baby, you have a very high risk of some complications by the time you
are 20. That's the brutal truth of diabetes.

When I was diagnosed 25 years ago, I was told that a cure would most likely
be found very soon - probably within 10 years. Well, 10 years passed. No
cure. Another 10 years? Still no cure. So when people say "ah, a lot of
exciting progress in many areas" I shrug my shoulders and think, I've heard
it before. In 1984, a researcher at my university told me of some exciting
new research he was doing into coating beta-cells with a semi-porous skin,
so the immune system can't kill them. Nearly 20 years later, I still read
of this "exciting new research". And I read that the Edmonton Protocol is
not available for people for whom normal diabetes treatment works, due to
fears about the complications caused by long-term use of the anti-rejection

Sorry if this is slight depressing, but I do take a realistic view! :-)

PS I'm in Antwerp, not Brussels, but do let me know when you're next over

mailto:email @ redacted