Re: [IPk] Airline advice needed in a hurry!!!

In message <002b01c1e975$2bc41240$email @ redacted>, Diana Maynard
<email @ redacted> writes
>I flew American Airlines about 2 months ago from Manchester to Philadelphia,
>and there was no problem with my infusion sets, needles, syringes etc. I
>took a doctor's letter saying I had DM, but noone asked to see it. I didn't
>have any prescriptions or anything. I really don't think there is any cause
>for concern - if they ask, tell them why you need them, if they don't ask,
>don't tell them.
>At one of the security checkins they frisked me and found my pump. I said
>"it's an insulin pump" and they said fine. That was it.
>Actually it's more down to the airport than the airline, since when you go
>through Xray it's the airport security who check you.

Having flow, post 11/9, to Amsterdam, Brussels, Barcelona and Jersey -
I'd agree.  However, having had very severe hassle at Guernsey (they
didn't detect the pump, and as I told them about the hypodermic, they
didn't take the insulin issued to me (the American regulation for
allowing hypodermics onto flights) they didn't find the sets, and merely
wanted to take the meter off me, too ....

I guess it is down to the security at each airport.  I heard some years
back that Baltimore was bad (making people remove pumps and put them
through x-ray machines - this was before release infusion sets, so it
was a major hassle).

People were recommended to fly to Washington instead, and take Amtrack
to Baltimore.

I'm going to San Jose in August - destination pretty unchangeable,
although if it's that bad, I could go to LA and drive, I guess ...
Cheapest flights are via O'hare and LAX - anyone know if either is to be

With best wishes,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)