[IPk] Pump holidays

Dear Zoe,

Over the last five days, I have had three sets fail. Aaagh.  I just want
to give up pumping right now, and never see the bloody thing again.  But
(and it's a but of galactic proportions).  There is no alternative, for
me.  MDI just didn't work.  Having to miss an important pre-meeting on
Wednesday, feeling very groggy as I tried to do research on Thursday,
and today had to miss a tour of a historic house, and worry family and
friends who didn't really understand what was going on is nothing
compared to the inconvenience of the random morning blood glucoses on

So, if for you the pump is a matter of convenience, not last resort, I
don't see why you shouldn't use mdi on occasion, if that's more
convenient on occasion.

About the set failures.  The first one was my second trial with a
quickset.  Just like the first trial, it failed after a few hours, and
when I removed it the cannula was bent in the middle (i.e. not blocked
enough to set off an alarm, just enough to push my bg over 20).  I have
had this problem with hand-inserted sof-sets, too, but never with sof-
serter inserted ones, until this morning.

One thing I did note is that both the quicksets needle guards had come
off.  The occasionally do with the sof-sets, too - this morning's
failure was one where the guard had come off.

Have other people noticed this?  Should sets be used where the needle
guard has fallen off in transit?

Do other people have problems with inserting the quicksets?  I have a
very tough stomach - pushing a sof-set needle on it by hand usually just
causes a big dent in my stomach - the needle doesn't go in, unless I
wiggle it around a bit - and that seems to be what causes the bending in
the pipe - I've tried four or five times, and only once has it worked

I'm not sure that I want to persevere with trying the quickset: it does
seem to irritate my skin less, but I don't like the fact that I can't
see the point where the cannula enters the skin.

Best wishes to all,

dm 30+, 508 1 year+, would like a miniature camera to put down the
needle hole to see if the pipe has kinked or not!

 In message <004a01c1e846$a5f2ebc0$email @ redacted>, Zoe
<email @ redacted> writes
>Hi all,
>Has anyone ever taken a pump "holiday" ?
>I'm sure the very idea will shock most/some of you but I found it really
>hard to cope with having the pump on holiday last year (being in and out of
>the pool all day, going to the beach and wearing a bikini etc), I just
>didn't have the sense of freedom that I want on my 3 weeks off.
>So, I am considering a 3 week break, going back to MDI for this period, does
>anyone have any advice/experience of this (other than NO Don't do it!!!) ?

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)