Re: [IPk] Glucophage

Forgive my scepticism about the medical profession, but in my
experience (says she who developed type 1 diabetes at age 48) there is
a tendency to assume that anyone who developes diabetes at a more
advanced age must have type 2 instead of/as well as type 1.  From what
I have read I had classic presentation of type 1 (diagnosis
subsequently confirmed by antibody tests) and yet when I tell them
this, several doctors have told me I must be mistaken, have asked me
what oral meds I take, and when they find out that I don't, have tried
to press on me various oral medications.
This might be one possible explanation!

As for me, the sad reality is that with a heavy family history of type
2 diabetes, the odds are that I may eventually develop that too, there
are moments when I see hints of it lurking there - but in the meantime,
type 1 is quite enough thank you.

> Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 12:58:40 +0100
> From: "Tony O'Sullivan" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IPk] Glucophage
> Glucophage is one of the more common drugs used in type 2 diabetes.
> It does
> several things, like increase the use of glucose in the liver
> certainly, but
> its main action seems to be to squeeze more insulin from the islet
> cells. It
> wouldn't make a lot of sense to use it in well-developed type 1,
> because the
> islet cells don't have any glucose left no matter how much you
> squeeze them!
> There might be a case in the early 'honeymoon' days of type 1, when
> some
> production still exists, but to be honest I've never heard of that.
> On the other hand, many Euro countries start insulin early in type 2,
> and
> that is probably what is hapenning here. There goes your colleague's
> street
> credibility!!
> Regards,
> Tony O'Sullivan

 develop insulin resistance too, if they were overweight and very
> unlucky.
> Sometimes I wonder if that is happening to me. Essentially it would
> be like
> having type 1 and type 2 at the same time!
> Even so, my original comment about your friend's type of diabetes
> still
> applies, ie he is probably a type 2 using insulin.

Do You Yahoo!?