[IPk] Airline advice needed in a hurry!!!

Can anyone out there give me any information on airline travel from the UK to
the US with a pump---specifically, with the hypodermic needles/syringes used
with the Minimed? I have always taken several on board the plane with me as
carry-on whenever I travel anywhere, especially long overseas flights (11+
hours to California), just in case there is any problem with my pump and I
should need a tubing change. I realize now that there are new regulations in
place regarding needles post 9/11.

American Airlines in the UK (Heathrow) has informed me that they will allow
diabetics to bring on needles up to 1 inch long, provided you have a doctor's
prescription for them. The problem for me is I have never had a prescription
for my pump consumables, as they are not covered by the NHS and I have always
paid for them myself. Hence, no prescription. My supplier in the UK, Applied
Medical Technologies, tells me there is nothing they can do, as they can't
provide prescriptions.

I leave on Wednesday for LA, and I'm getting a little worried now. I really
hate the thought of traveling without backup supplies----and the thought of
the airline "misplacing" the supplies I'm bringing for a month-long trip,
which I would have to check in with my luggage, really scares me. Any advice

Also, can anyone tell me about the return trip situation---what is the US
side like? I've read that they don't require prescriptions (as these can be
forged), but only an insulin bottle with the doctor's name on it. Is that
still true? Does that mean hypodermic needles are acceptable?

I would really greatly appreciate any advice from you diabetic jetsetters out
there! Help!!!! Thanks so much!!!