Re: [IPk] overnight ketones & dodgy A1c

Hi elizabeth -

Here's my take. I've been offline most of this week due to computer failure ;-)

>Question: What would cause me to produce ketones at BGs between 3-12? This
>is the range I've seen over the past week, on different days.

I'm not a doctor, so this is not medical advice. But my understanding is
that mild ketones are not "bad". They are naturally produced by a healthy
body in various normal situations. They are "bad" or dangerous when they
are high and combined with high blood sugar levels - which causes
dehydration, and can lead to diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).

>To add to my frustration, I got A1c results back today: 7, up from 6.8 four
>months ago, which was up from 6.2. Last time the nurse has told me the very
>poor BGs I had over christmas week probably caused that large increase, but
>clearly that is not the case because I have been doing well in terms of
>recorded numbers for the past 6 weeks or so. I had an A1c of 6 for a year
>after starting the pump, so as you can imagine I am very concerned about all
>this. Clearly, I have a problem overnight.

I once had my HbA1c increase by 1% for no particular reason. I made a fuss
at the clinic, and eventually (after a lot of effort) they discovered that
the lab had switched to a different HbA1c scale, so my old result was
equivalent to my new result. Stupid.

mailto:email @ redacted