Re: [IPk] overnight ketones & dodgy A1c

>Finally, you could do what most other people do, and stop testing for
>ketones when your BGs are OK!! Ketones aren't always due to high BGs,
but if
>you trust your meter, ketones just aren't important if you are able to

>a normal bg. They are produced by fasting and exercise as well. You
>very high glucose levels without ketones, but you can't have serious
>ketoacidosis with a normal glucose
A cautionary note -
unfortunately, I was able to demonstrate otherwise on a very memorable
occasion the winter before last - I had flu, and using a raised basal
rate, was able to keep blood glucose almost entirely within a very good
normal range - I was hardly eating anything (now I know one should keep
some carbs coming in - but nobody had told me that then), just drinking
lots, and blood glucose was actually better than much of the time when
I am well and eating, so I didn't bother testing for ketones.  Then
after a day or two, although I started recovering from the flu, I
started feeling more and more awful - till suddenly in the middle of
the night it dawned on me that I had once felt like that before - when
I was in ketoacidosis at the time of initial diagnosis of diabetes -
quick rescue advice from the GP next morning narrowly avoided hospital

One comment about HbA1c going up - I would not think that the
difference between 6.8 and 7 is significant - almost certainly within
measurement errors, but agree that going up from 6 to 6.8 is
disappointing - says she who, despite pumping now for over 3 years, has
never got HbA1c to go below 7.9, but has hopes for the next measurement
in a couple of weeks time.

Do You Yahoo!?