Re: [IPk] Re: Airport horror - flying to the US, any advice please

Hi Nanette
A lot of it depends on which airline you fly with, which airports you're
going through, and what the security men had for breakfast that day.
I flew from Manchester to Philadelphia to Baltimore in March  (and back
again) and had no problems at all. They frisked me at the Xray machine, found
my pump, I said "it's an insulin pump" and they said "fine". My needles etc
were all in my hand luggage, which was Xrayed and noone batted an eyelid.
I took with me a doctor's letter saying I had diabetes, but didn't have
things in original containers with labels on.

I think if your ticket says Dr that will help a lot. Mine did too (I am an
academic Dr not a medical one) but I've noticed that especially in the US
they treat you with a lot more respect if they think you're a Dr (they always
assume you're a medical one), so I always use my Dr title when travelling to
and in the US.
I always have far more problems getting my laptop through security than my
pump! They always make me take it out of the bag, turn it on, open up all the
bits that open up, and spend ages examining it. Maybe that's the answer - to
detract their attention from the pump!