Re: [IPk] gum problems

Mary, I am studyingto become a dentist, so I thought I would reply to your
query (but please bear in mind I haven't finished my training!)

Certain dental problems - chiefly periodontal (or gum) disease are much more
common among diabetics than non-diabetics. Once you have them, they also MAY
(I stress that as its not always the case) be a little more resistant to
treatment, so it definately a good idea to get this looked at. Obviously I
wouldn't like to speculate on what the problem is, becasue I haven't seen
it, but it does sound like a gum problem.

You said you are in London. A place you could consider going to is the
dental accident and emergency clinic at Guy's hospital (London Bridge) or
King's College Hospital (Denmark Hill) These are walk in clinics for anyone
in pain or who has problems with their mouth. Initially you would probably
be seen by a student, but everyone is fully supervised by some of the best
dentists in London. They would be able to give you a better idea of the
cause of the problem and what should be done - including whether you should
see a dentist elsewhere, which they can also advise you about. The drawback
with this service is that you may have to wait quite a while to be seen, so
it may only be worthwhile if it is very troublesome.

Alternatively, you could try phoning NHS direct (0845 4647) who should (in
therory anyway!) be able to give you the names of NHS dentists local to you
who you would then contact. NHS dentistry is available to overseas visitors
similar terms to other NHS treatment (I think, anyway) but some NHS dentists
may only agree to see you on a private basis.

Finally, you could try looking in your local Yellow pages (or at Yell.com)
for dentists listed in your area. You may be able to get reccommendations
from people you know about good dentists.

Sorry to ramble, I hope this may be of some help to you.