[IPk] airport horror

this is shocking
Did they want to put your things in the hold, or in the cabin? ( the former
being even worse)
Diab UK actually state on the website that some airlines may want to remove
medication from you for safekeeping and store it in the cabin. ( why should
someone with DM be seen as a threat to security?, and even this step could
lead to problems as there is obviously a slight risk of them not being

Surely security staff could have telephoned your GP/ consultant if they were
that concerned
It's time people started using a little common sense
I think it's always worth being open and ringing the airline before, finding
out exactley what they require

I recently flew from Swansea to Dublin with a local airline ( some
I explained my situation as I booked the flight and initially they attempted
to fob me off by telling me surely it would be OK to put it in the hold as I
couldn't need access to medication in the space of an hour. I explained
about the problems I would encounter if it got lost, or the insulin was
They then stepped down and said I could take it on board if I had a letter
from my GP and identification stating that I am a doctor!! Does this mean
that if you are not a doctor and have a medical condition you have to risk
losing or damaging your medication??

I got to the airport and all luggage is searched by hand as they do not have
an x ray machine!!
However, hand luggage was not routinely searched . Doh!

I set off the metal detector with my pump( glad to realise I'm not the only
one who does this!) so my hand luggage was searched. I was asked for the
letter but was not asked for further id

I was glad I had kept it with me as the baggage reclaim in Dublin Airport is
huge. must be massive potential for things to go missing!

The safety of people with medical conditions should surely be paramount. I'b
be interested to hear of anyone attacking fellow passengers with a
glucometer or stashing explosives in an insulin bottle. Yeah I suppose
anything can happen but airlines seem to be cracking down on people just to
be seen to be doing their job. Was there not a story of someone who hid some
type of explosive in their shoes last December and managed to board a plane

Did you encounter any problems getting your supplies back Pat?