Re: [IPk] working out units needed

Liam,

I can't believe they didn't tell you what to bolus for meals etc.  You start
of with 1 unit of insulin per 10g of Carbohydrate.  If this doesn't seem to
work then you may need to alter it slightly, for example 1.5 units of
insulin to 10g Carbohydrate.

If you are not used to counting Carbohydrates then you will need a book (I
was provided with one by the hospital) with some basics in, and the rest is
all written on the packaging of the things you buy.  It gets really easy
very quickly but you might need to weigh things like potatoes for a while
until you get the hang of it.

For high fat meals or pasta it is a good idea to split the bolus.  I find
that giving half before starting to eat and half when I finish seems to do
the trick for me, but I'm a slow eater and I think most people need to leave
it a bit longer before giving the second half of the bolus.

Fish and chips....... I never know how much of the portion I'm going to be
able to eat, so I start off with 4.5 to 5 units of insulin plus however much
more when I'm full and finished.  Then I give the rest and my blood sugars
have always (not that I eat them very often you understand) been fine a
couple of hours later when I test.

Happy Carb counting!

Gaye