[IPk] Driving licence fee (off topic)

Dear All,

Did anyone else receive a letter from DVLC last week, informing us that
we could now get a C1/C1+E licence again (taken away, allegedly because
EU legislation forced the UK govt. to do this a couple of years ago).

Nice to see that they've come to their senses, and read the EU documents
correctly now, BUT, we have to pay two medical fees, which they estimate
as 'up to #94' and 'could be in the region of #100'.  I'm concerned
about this: this is money for a licence which used to be ours for
nothing (like the car and motorbike licence). This could be the thin end
of the wedge: how long before we have to pay for our three-yearly
medical exams?

On the positive side, I do like the rule that you have to check your
blood glucose twice a day, and 'at times relevant to driving'.

Best wishes to all,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)