RE: [IPk] Absolute Beginner!

Hi Linda -

Well, diabetes itself is very complicated, no matter what injection schedule
you're on. The best way for your son to find out if a pump is for him is to
research it and then, if he likes what he's found out, to try it. If his
medical staff are telling him he can't eat sugar, they are as out of date as
most diabetes clinics.  It rediculous: almost everything we eat has 'sugar'
in it: read the side of the packets. Not the ingredients list, but the
nutritional info. Under the listing for carbs you will often see a
subheading 'of which sugars' and a gram amount. All carbohydrate breaks down
to sugar in our system; some of it breaks down faster than other types. For
example, I am currently munching a bag of peanut m&ms(I had a good
breakfast! don't smack my wrist - two eggs, two ryvita, and a spoon of
sauerkraut [which is delicious with fried eggs])and those peanut m&ms will
raise my BGs more slowly than a banana or a slice of bread. The place to
look for more info on this is http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm . And don't be
surprised if your son's diabetes team have never heard of this information.

If your son was recently diagnosed, his medical team will probably want to
see him stabilise on injections for a while longer before trying a pump, if
they agree to a trial. Be aware that there are mixed attitudes in clinics to
pumps, that has as much to do with outdated information, an unwillingness to
try something new, and/or lack of resources. Also be aware that in the UK
you may have to fund all or part of an inuslin pump and its consumables.
INPUT are the people to talk to about this. You can get INPUT contact
information on the insulin pumpers website.

I probably sound very cynical in this mail, but that cynicism is based on my
experience of the medical profession! I know there are also some wonderful
people out there (my diabetes nurse is pretty good), but overall I've been
unimpressed. The best treatment for diabetes, I think, is education, and
unfortunately you have to provide a lot of it yourself. At least that way
when you decide to have a second biscuit and neglect to take the extra
insulin, you know exactly what has happened and why!