Re: [IPk] Blood Charts and techno-utopia

Perusing the Minimed Price list it would appear the same software is sed
to download and read both the pumps and the continuous glucose monitor
which you also have to give other information to such as diet excercise
etc so surely the capability is there and just needs taking a step
further or is that to naive Carmel (completely technophobic) >From: John
Neale <email @ redacted> >Reply-To: email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: Re: [IPk] Blood Charts and
techno-utopia >Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 21:07:15 +0200 > > >This type of
approach can not be too far off. There is a chap at > >Robert Gordon's
University in Aberdeen who is > >modelling type one diabetes - his work
is still at the very > >embryonic stage though. At this stage it is
passive - he is gathering data > >on bg's, insulin usage, CHO intake,
exercise and modelling it all. I > >participated in the first phase of
the research but then started on my pump > >so could not go any further
His young daughter is diabetic and I feel that > >he his hoping that
there will be a magic way to forecast the whole thing - I > >hope he is
right! > >A chap called Eldon Lehmann has done something like this too.
See >http://www.2aida.org and more specifically
>http://www.2aida.org/aida/technical.htm , which is a fairly detailed
look >at the history and current situation with regard to simulating
diabetes. > >But we all know how enormously complex it is to predict what
our own >diabetes is going to do. Even worse, it varies so much from
person to >person. One person has a large dawn effect, another person has
none. Why? >Who knows? > >My concept does not necessarily need to model
the internal functioning of >each person's body. Weather forecasting is
done by looking at the current >and recent readings, looking for similar
situations in the past, and what >happened last time is the best
prediction of what is going to happen next >time. You don't need to know
why an occluded front here predicts rain there >- just that it does.
Similarly, a computer may have spotted that when >you've eaten a large
dinner with red wine, your carb/insulin ratio the >following morning
drops a bit. It can use that info to optimise your >breakfast bolus, in a
way that I don't think I would have the time or >inclination to do. >
>The longer you use the system, the better the computer gets at spotting
the >little quirks of your body, and the less information it needs to
give >helpful advice. The big question is whether there is a window in
which the >small amount of info you can be bothered to give is enough to
generate >meaningful advice. That we may only be able to find out by
trial. > >John > >-- >mailto:email @ redacted