[IPk] Absolute Beginner!

Since my 16 year old son was recently diagnosed as Type 1, I have been trying to find out the best way forward, and the pump seemed a very good idea - BUT - reading some of your exchanges it all seems incredibly complicated.  Is it very difficult to programme and keep making all the changes that seem necessary? And do you have to weigh out everything you eat.  And on the subject of food - can you really eat whatever you like, or can you still not eat stuff with sugar? What about exercise - he does a variety of things ranging from an hour or so at the gym to almost all day at cricket (would he have to fiddle with the programmer mid-field!)
Any info. gratefully received. (At the moment he is on 4 injections a day)
Linda Hine (I hope I have sent this correctly and not messed up the entire system)