[IPk] Blood Charts and techno-utopia

	This type of approach can not be too far off.  There is a chap at
Robert Gordon's University in Aberdeen who is
	modelling type one diabetes - his work is still at the very
embryonic stage though.  At this stage it is passive - he is gathering data
on bg's, insulin usage, CHO intake, exercise and modelling  it all.  I
participated in the first phase of the research but then started on my pump
so could not go any further  His young daughter is diabetic and I feel that
he his hoping that there will be a magic way to forecast the whole thing - I
hope he is right!

	Ultimately this must all be possible - it will be a question of how
the data and decisions are delivered and who is responsible!!

	Audrey Sheal

> What I would prefer is to have a computer analyse and advise me all the
> time on these things. Imagine being given a freephone number which dials
> in
> to a computer at your diabetes clinic on which you have an account. While
> your bg meter is counting down, you dial the number on your mobile phone
> (it's preprogrammed on the phone). The phone identifies itself in that
> magic way they do, so the computer knows who you are. When the result
> comes
> up on your bg meter, you enter the result on your telephone keypad, and
> perhaps enter what you are about to eat using a simple code. The computer
> (which knows all your recent data, so knows what does and doesn't work for
> you) speaks back to you and tells you what to bolus. Or tells you to
> change
> your basal rate by so much. It could be constantly updating its best guess
> of your carb insulin ratio at that time of the day. It can notify your
> doctor when things aren't going well. It would revolutionise how a clinic
> operates, since the clinic would always know how you were getting on. They
> may be overwhelmed by the data, but that doesn't matter: it's the
> computer's job to know the rules, and to analyse and advise.
> Fanciful? I'm convinced a central computer, with very powerful software,
> could do a  better job than we can. Anyone care to write the software?
Scottish Enterprise Network