Re: [IPk] Re: sites

>Having been happily (or relatively happily - I still sometimes have a
>hard time inserting sets)

Me too :-) Sometimes it just goes straight in. Other times, wherever I put
it, it HURTS. I tend to move somewhere else if it is hurting, but just
occasionally it hurts everywhere and just have to just do it. Is that
stress related or what? Never been sure, but it was the same when I was on

>sites have been lasting much shorter times, getting itchy after 2-3
>days whereas they used to last 6-7 days without significant discomfort,
>and when I remove the sets there are often nasty red bumps - look like
>irritation not infection.

I would die for 6-7 days! I'm a 2 day bloke. If I go any longer I get the
little red bump too. My clinic have looked at it, and reckon it's skin
reaction to the infusion set, rather than an infection.

>so of course I listened politely to his little lecture,
>while feeling pretty angry inside that he was treating me like this,
>and said yes, yes, yes, I promise;

Glad you played the appropriate role with the doctor. Sometimes it's just
like that isn't it...

>And I am seeing the endocrinologist more frequently now - since I work
>in the same hospital, one floor below his lab, this is done in a nice
>informal way.  He thinks that part of the problem is due to basically
>unpredictable stuff, but also that I am too hesitant to make changes -
>it's true - firstly I am always in denial that my insulin requirements
>might be going up - for no intelligent reason that I can fathom out, I
>hate the thought of my requirements increasing, and secondly, I never
>can decide if low or high blood glucose readings are the result of
>something very temporary, like having a minor virus or a day of unusual
>exercise or stress, or if the change is something which is here to stay
>for long enough to justify a change in basal rate.

Melissa suggested waiting to 3 days spot the pattern. I never have 3
similar days! So one strategy is go halfway, or a third of the way, and see
what happens. If you were wrong, not too much damage...

What I would prefer is to have a computer analyse and advise me all the
time on these things. Imagine being given a freephone number which dials in
to a computer at your diabetes clinic on which you have an account. While
your bg meter is counting down, you dial the number on your mobile phone
(it's preprogrammed on the phone). The phone identifies itself in that
magic way they do, so the computer knows who you are. When the result comes
up on your bg meter, you enter the result on your telephone keypad, and
perhaps enter what you are about to eat using a simple code. The computer
(which knows all your recent data, so knows what does and doesn't work for
you) speaks back to you and tells you what to bolus. Or tells you to change
your basal rate by so much. It could be constantly updating its best guess
of your carb insulin ratio at that time of the day. It can notify your
doctor when things aren't going well. It would revolutionise how a clinic
operates, since the clinic would always know how you were getting on. They
may be overwhelmed by the data, but that doesn't matter: it's the
computer's job to know the rules, and to analyse and advise.

Fanciful? I'm convinced a central computer, with very powerful software,
could do a  better job than we can. Anyone care to write the software?

mailto:email @ redacted