Re: [IPk] Sharps bins

In message <l03130302b70489a34d0d@[]>, John Neale
<email @ redacted> writes
>Like you Melissa, I've always handed in used needles and blood products
>(test strips etc) at my doctor's surgery. They dispose of them by
>incineration (burning). Perhaps I'm ultracautious, but used needles do not
>in my opinion belong in the council's rubbish dump - even if inside a
>plastic bottle. The bottle will get crushed and there will be needles

Thanks to everyone for their advice.
I was told to ask the council by the Diabetes Clinic.  I'll try my GP,
and if they can't help, see how much the chemist will charge for the

I'm not particularly worried about what happens to the needles when they
go into the back of the crusher and thereafter - from this point on they
(and everything else in there) are treated as sharp and contaminated.
Up to this point they are handled by human beings.

I don't worry about blood on test strips (lots of my blood, and many
other women's' goes into the council's rubbish dump each month) but I
can see why they don't mix with babies!

Best wishes to all,
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)