[IPk] RE: melatonin

A google search brought up this summary article at _Scientific American_.

I don't know, off the top of my head, what melatonin does in the body, but
I'm under the vague impression that it has something to do with depression
in the form of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), where the production of
melatonin is affected by lack of sunlight, causing depression and tiredness.

Melatonin is a hormone naturally produced by our bodies. I would be
disinclined to introduce extra doses of such a substance into my system
unless there was a clearly demonstrated medical need for the top up. We all
know what happens when our insulin comes from and goes to places it doesn't
naturally go - we have a higher risk of hypoglycaemia. What happens with all
that extra melatonin? What are its real short term and long term effects?
Apparently, there haven't been enough studies done on it.

There are other 'natural' substances such as herbal preparations that also
work as sedatives and sleeping tablets. You might want to try some of these