RE: [IPk] Sharps bins

Hi Pat -

I'm impressed that the council even offers sharps containers! It never
occured to me to ring the Corporation to look for a sharps contianer, but I
can imagine the response I would have got. The hospital told me, when I
asked, that the health board wouldn't supply sharps containers to people.

I fold my inserter needles in half and tuck them in the plastic cover the
infusion set comes in, or the foil wrapper the swab comes in, and then put
them in the bin. Frankly, I don't know what else to do. I have previously
disposed of them in the sanitary disposal units in the toilet at work, but I
stopped doing that because I don't know if anyone actually touches the
contents of those bins, and I don't think they'd be expecting an unguarded
sharp. It's a difficult thing to figure because the plastic on the inserter
sets means they won't fit into a mineral bottle, which is what I've used for
pen needles and syringes. Actually, I have a used syringe sitting next to my
bed. I must buy a 7UP or something...

Don't know if any of that is helpful, Pat, but that's what I've been doing
so far.