Re: [IPk] Re: insulin-carb ratios

At 20-04-00 10:42 +0100, you wrote:
>It sounds like you have been very lucky.
>Every time I have had an operation (and I've had quite a few) I have been
>put on drips and a sliding scale, and every time my control has been all
>over the place as they haven't had a clue what they were doing.
Hi Di,
I think you are referring to being allowed to use my pump during the op,
that was not luck rather (one) advantage of going privately. It's amazing
what you can find out when talking to a consultant privately that you are
never told when going through the NHS. I was forced to go privately because
my NHS consultant was delaying my op for ever different reasons and when I
questioned what he was doing he refused to continue (due to lack of
patient/consultant solidarity). My then two year (ongoing) wait was reduced
to six weeks!
The part where I was put on a sliding scale was after an occupational
therapist had knocked me down some stairs, dislocated the prosthesis,
displaced the cup and broken my pelvis I was in an NHS hospital where they
were in great disorganisation - I was in A&E on a bed, my name was called
in the main waiting room but I could not respond. Two hours later they
discovered me and after an x-ray I was presented with an asian doctor, bald
on top and with shoulder length hair, in a blue dressing gown, telling me
to hold a mask, from a gas cylinder, over my nose & mouth, while he grabbed
hold of my leg and tried to twist it back into place. After several screams
he checked the gas cylinder and realised it was empty. He went on with
another cylinder and a nurse to hold me down, but eventually gave up.
After another form of sedation, under orthopaedic surgeons, they decided to
give me full anaesthetic, that was when they brought the sliding scale in.
I had successfully smuggled my Medisense meter and some dextrose into the
hospital and thus felt able to ensure that bgs too low could be avoided,
which I had to do! I probably had about four detrosol while under "nil by
mouth", but I cannot believe anyone is going to be sick, under anaesthetic
from dextrose alone (don't tell if I'm wrong).
That operation discovered the displaced cup but nothing else. I was then
referred back to the private (charity) hospital where they redid the
operation and discovered the broken bone and replaced it with a bird's nest
built from a metal mesh and grounded bones and held in place with self
tapping screws.
What I have learnt is never to let a council employed OT into your house,
sorry I just had to reply because I've been feeling so sorry for myself to
see me being described as very lucky made me fear what might happen if you
were to tell me that I was going to be unlucky.
I quote what a friend wrote back to me, after having asked how the op went.
"I have up graded you, I used to think that you were an
accident waiting to happen. This is not true . You are an
accident that has happened!"
Anyway, if you do go in for any more ops take some dextrose & a meter with
you, I think it means you are still able to retain some control.
All the best,