Re: [IPk] Re: insulin-carb ratios

It sounds like you have been very lucky.
Every time I have had an operation (and I've had quite a few) I have been
put on drips and a sliding scale, and every time my control has been all
over the place as they haven't had a clue what they were doing.

One time my BG went down to 2 mmol/l and they refused to stop the insulin
or increase the glucose, because "the nurse had to check with the doctor
before adjusting my meds, and he wasn't available"!!!
I couldn't eat anything because I was about to have the anaesthetic, so I
just complained a lot, which didn't do any good, until 45 minutes later
when the doctor reappeared and they turned off the insulin!

Personally I'd rather test my own basals myself than leave it inthe hands
of the hospital.
In any case, you can achieve just the same effect by the normal method of
basal testing, as far as I can see.