Re: [IPk] exercise & BGs

>At the JDF conference, in the exercise workshop, the marathon runner (whose
>name I forget) told us how he had to get his BG up to 15 before running, in
>order to finish at about 5mmol/l.Which is what I too had to do on MDI,
>necause of the amount of long-acting insulin in my body.
>Now  I can usually start exercising around 7 and finish at 5 by careful
>control of the pump.

I think the guy was Peter Standing. I had a chat with him after the JDF
conference. He was very interested in my pump - my line was if he was happy
with his MDI, stick with it, but be aware that there are other options.

He may be on Tomorrow's World tonight (BBC1, 7pm) - Ray tells us they are
covering the use of the continuous glucose monitor in the London Marathon.
Peter had been recruited by a doctor who was wanting to stick a monitor on
a marathon runner.

What surprised me was that he didn't test his bg while running, lest he
break his stride. Even when he is knackered towards the end of a race, he
has no idea whether it is hypo or exhaustion. But he seems to know what
he's doing...

mailto:email @ redacted