Re: [IPk] How many basal rates?

I am not familiar with the 508 pump and if there is any limitation on the
number of variations of basal rate which are possible over 24 hours. I use a
Disetronic and currently have 17 changes of rate per day on Humalog: the
lowest 0.4 and the highest 2.2. On Actrapid, due to its longer duration, the
pump was put on 0 for two hours of the early morning when my requirements
are at their lowest but, on the other hand, the highest rate in mid evening
was 2.7. The situation has steadily evolved in the four and a half years I
have had the pump and the apparently "correct rates" at a given point do not
remain ideal for long.

I recommend you persevere with testing frequently to shape the doses as
closely as possible to your average day and without any mental block about
what number of  basal rates you have.  I have mentioned before in a message
to this list (and had scorn poured on me by some respondents) my opinion
that the initial profiling of the basal rates is a difficult technical task
best taken out of the hands of the patient and done by an experienced
professional in a clinical setting, because it can throw up surprises which
even the clever experienced multiple-injector (which I considered myself) is
tempted to dismiss or will not recognise or understand. I don't say everyone
has to go into hospital for 10 days, because many cases are apparently
easily resolved, but when you get into insulin dosage variations by a factor
of 5 or more, it is no longer  child's play which you can do at home without
on the spot advice.

Best wishes for your ongoing efforts!