Re: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V1 #230

I am not a dietician, and this is probably heresy:

Counting carbos is only one way to skin the cat (so to speak).

Another way to do it is to count calories.  Instead of working out a
carb-to-insulin ratio, and keeping the proportion of carbs-to-calories
as steady as your body says you have to, you can work a calories-to-
insulin ratio, and keep the carbs-to-calories as steady as your body
says you have to.

About keeping the ratio steady: you may find that if you eat 400 cals,
and 10% comes from carbs, you need a very different amount and/or time
of insulin to if you eat 400 cals, but 80% comes from carbs. (Ain't life
grand?) If you find you _are_ sensitive to the carb/cal ratio (or to
certain kinds of food such as oats or alcohol) you can either eliminate
the problem (by keeping the ratio the same, avoiding foods, etc), or you
can take the time to experiment and learn what to do to avoid problems.
Neither is the 'right answer': both, or some way between is 'a right
answer' for _you_ (your body, and your preferred lifestyle).

The advantage of the pump (and I'm still a wannabe) is that you can
match the insulin to your lifestyle, rather than vice versa.  So if you
(and your healthcare professionals) are happy with your diet (sounds
like a tropical diet to me - fruit, perhaps a little fibrous root
material, and the rest of the calories from fat and protein) why aren't
you fitting your insulin to your food, rather than about-facing it in
this way?

Best wishes,
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)