[IPk] article from bbc online

OK, so they got *most* of the facts right!
Have a look at:
(below) and

            Diabetic: Service was appalling

            Diana Maynard requires an insulin pump to administer the hormone
            The Audit Commission has criticised the NHS
            over the standard of care it provides to Diabetics.
            BBC News Online tells one woman's story.

            Diana Maynard was aged just eight when she was
            diagnosed with diabetes, but she is convinced that
            sub-standard care in the following years is to blame for
            her state of health today.

            Now aged 28, Diana suffers
            from a series of
            complications related to her
            condition. She is partially
            sighted, her kidneys are
            damaged and she has
            damage to the nerves in her
            hands and feet.

            She blames this on the fact
            that her diabetes was not
            adequately controlled for
            many years.

            Diana, who recently moved
            to Sheffield, where she
            works as a researcher at
            the university, has lived in
            various parts of the country
            and says the care she has received has varied

            Most of the areas of the country she has lived in have
            not been able to provide her with an insulin pump - a
            piece of equipment which is worn by the patient 24
            hours a day and gives small, regular doses of the
            hormone every few minutes directly into the

            Better control

            Having a pump, which she was provided with while
            living in Manchester but has not been available
            elsewhere, allows better control of the intake, reducing
            the chances of complications, and removes the need
            for injecting several times a day.

            The pumps cost 2,000 and have on-going costs of
            around 15 a week.

            Diana told BBC News Online: "I have suffered a lot of
            problems and I now have complications as a result of
            not having proper controls for years. A large part of
            that I would attribute to doctors and the level of care I
            was given.

            "If I had had the insulin pump years ago, I am
            convinced that would have helped.

            "Partly it is down to doctors not having enough time.
            You get your five minutes and that is it.

            "The quality of the service has varied quite a lot. Before
            I moved to Manchester it was appalling. I never saw
            the same doctor twice.

            "I have known people who have waited months after
            being diagnosed for their first appointment and have not
            been given any information at all in the meantime."

                                          Search BBC News Online