Re: [IPk] takeaway questions for research....

> Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 17:29:40 +0100
> From: "Kentish, Julette" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IPk] takeaway questions for research....
> Can I please ask a general question or two of the pumpers....and get
> you
> to reply direct to my email address as I am hoping to embark on a
> research project on dietary intake/recommendations for pump
> users....?
> Thanks, Julette Kentish Diabetes Research Dietitian - RBH
> How often would you have takeaway food (Chinese, pizza, fish & chips)
> in
> a month?
once or twice on average
> How successful do you feel you are at adjusting your insulin dose to
> these meals (ie: without correction bolus)?
very unpredictable, but not so much more unpredictable than response to
other meals, or even to not eating! (i.e. in my experience, life with
diabetes is unpredictable)
> Do you have difficulty estimating the carbohydrate content of these
> meals?
I'm not sure that this is the problem.  Suspect it is not only the
difficult-to-guess quantity of carbohydrates, but also the unknown and
perhaps variable amounts of protein and fat.  I generally have much
more unpredictable results with high protein meals than with high carb
meals - high carb meals, I seem to estimate fairly accurately, bolus,
and all is fine.  The protracted and unpredictable timing of release
and absorption of the glucose resulting from the various components of
a meal which includes a lot of protein and/or fat means that for me
they are unpredictable.

Hope this helps.

Do You Yahoo!?