[IPk] Re: Jonathan and insulin pump therapy

I read your e-mail on the subject of reservoir questions with interest not
necessary on the subject of reservoirs but more specifically on the issue of
funding.

As parents to Jonathan aged 13 years who was diagnosed Type 1 - insulin
dependent during October 1997. We have concluded that insulin pump therapy
has the potential to assist his metabolic control and lower the risk of
severe hypoglycemia and therefore prevent later complications.

The above is based on obtaining information from various internet web
sites,e.g., the insulin pumpers homepage and purchasing the book 'pumping
insulin' by John Walsh. We have also been in correspondence with Jonathan's
Consultant Paediatrician, Dr Nerminathan based at Southend Hospital asking
for his views of insulin pump therapy for Jonathan, including the South
Essex Health Authority regarding funding of continuous pump therapy.

We have only received a reply from Dr Nerminathan who advises in his view
Jonathan's Diabetes is in control and therefore does not believe Jonathan
requires an insulin pump.

At this present time we are requesting an early appointment with Dr
Nerminathan, after two cancelled appointments when Jonathan is seen at the
Diabetic clinic to request Dr Nerminathan's approval to commence pump
therapy and hopefully to be reassured that his diabetic team have the skills
and knowledge to support both Jonathan and his parents.

We are prepared to purchase the pump rather than argue with the relevant
agencies over a long period of time but do require financial support for the
consumables.

You mention an INPUTT letter you have compiled. Can you advise further?