[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: [IPk] alarming pumps

Hi John
I'm not particularly concerned about it. 
It was definitely a case of air in the tubing.
I'm waitng for the 506 manual (as I'm still wiating for the
silhouettes - asked Donna to order them but I rang up the clinnic
yesterday (since she's away in GLasgow) and apparently nothing had
been done. (I got Disetronic to send me 6 sample Tenders so am OK for
now on that one).

As for the checking procedure: 
I fill the reservoir and tubing, get it all working, get someone to
check it and then keep it until I need it, so when I need to change it
it's all ready. 
However, I did that, it all appeared to be fine when I changed it this
morning, but then the bubbles appeared. But even when I asked Julia
(the woman at the Braille class who's daughter has a pump and who is
used to dealing with them) to check the tbe she couldn't see any air
bubbles, yet there were definitely some there later. Usually I do some
test boluses every so often just to check that everything is still OK
or if I am the slightest bit suspicious. I can't really see what more
I can do. Anyway, it wasn't a huge problem. I should probably put a
lot more insulin through the tube to clear any potential bubbles
before I attach a new tube, I guess. And I suppose I could always keep
doing some test boluses the first few hours afterwards. Once I know
there's aproblem it's easy to fix, but as you say, better to prevent
it or catch it early.

I don't like the full reservoir method as the sticking out bit digs
into me, especially if I have it anywhere except in my pocket or on my

> Di -
> You might want to keep cool on this one. I've been through periods of
> having a lot of no delivery alarms, and then they disappear for no
> reason. I've never worked out why they come in phases. It's possible
> that you have an old box of cartridges that are getting sticky. My new
> ones certainly seem smoother. Or it may be stress related where the body
> isolates and blocks the tip of the cannula.
> Get Minimed to send you a proper 506 manual if you haven't one already,
> and work out a fool-proof method of clearing the alarm. The buttons on
> the Minimed pumps are a bugger. They bounce sometimes, or don't respond
> other times.
> Have you not sorted out a procedure for checking the system for air? It
> seems a bit dumb to be waiting for a mega-high bg in order to notice
> you're pumping air. If you use the 3ml full-fill method, you can get
> away with one cartridge change a week possibly. Can you not have the
> nurse at your doctor's surgery check it over every Monday morning? It
> may involve a slight loss of independence, but since one reason for
> going on the pump is to improve your control in the long-run, and stop
> yourself going any blinder, it would seem a sensible compromise.
> Or could they pre-fill 4 or 5 cartridges and infusion lines for the
> month, and you store them in your fridge. Not sure what the implications
> are for crystalisation in the tube, or degradation in the cartrige.
> Minimed team? Ideas?
> John
Insulin Pumpers website http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/
for mail subscription assistance, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org