Re: [IPk] dancing part2

-----Original Message-----
From: Diana Maynard <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Date: 26 April 1999 16:56
Subject: Re: [IPk] dancing part2

>Agh - Regular is way too unpredictable for me - especially with exercise.
>And especially when the exercise is unpredictable too.
>I think I'll just keep the pump on - I'll have to for longer periods
>of dancing anyway so I might as well get used to it.
>Thanks for the suggestion though.
>> > yes, I think you're right.
>> > The problem with dancing is not the visibility of the pump but the
>> > ability to dance with it attached!
>> Consider a shot of regular to cover your basal requirements while you
>> are dancing. Then you can disconnect.
>> email @ redacted

Hi Di

I thought you be interested in the info I received when I was trained on the
pump. My trainer was Prof R Hoogma who has over 200 pump patients in his

Physical activity and inulin requirements:

Reduced insulin delivery for...      Light activity    Medium activity
Heavy activity

Bolus                                                50-100%            50%
Basal rate "during"                                50%                0%
0% + carbohydrates

Basal rate "after"                            100%*                100%*

* After physical activity in the evening hours, the basal rate should remain
at 75% during the following night.

After sport:

Sugar reserves in the muscular system and liver are empty and are being
    Increased withdrawal of sugar from blood.
    Blood sugar drops.

! Danger of hypoglycemia. This filling effect can last for several hours, in
extreme cases even days!

I don't know if this is of use to you. I am sorry that I did not let you
have it before, but as you know I have been "House sitting" for the last 2
weeks and I did not have it with me.

I am pleased that Morag is in contact now, I don't feel such an interfering
old B****R now.

I am off again tomorrow, away until Saturday. BDA Conference.

Be lucky,

John Davis (JD1)