Re: [IPk] the questions begin

I find exercise the ultimate YMMV. It depends on too many things it seems.
How toned up your muscles are. Aerobic or anaerobic exercise. Where and how
full your glycogen stores are (ie what you've eaten the last few days, how
much other exercise you've done, what preceding hypos you've had...), how
fresh your infusion site is and a dozen other things. If everything else is
nice and steady in your life (ie you're not taken full advantage of the
flexibility of pump therapy!), you may be able to spot patterns, and so
predict what will work each time. Otherwise it's a case of test your bg
every hour or two, and respond accordingly.

I don't exercise regularly enough to have a fixed routine worked out, but
others do. I generally cut my basal an hour before, but also take some carb
just before. I find taking a meal bolus of Humalog within an hour of
starting will cause a very sharp drop.

>> So in theory I would need to suspend my insulin completely during
>> those 4 hours and also take 6g carbs. But this seems like too much of
>> a reduction to me. or is that right (in theory)?
>This is a good analysis. It is a reasonable starting point.

Despite what we're told about requiring a minimum plasma-insulin
concentration _at all times_, there appear to be exercise related
conditions in which the muscles will absorb insulin without the need for
any insulin, strange though this may seem.

Let us know what you find works best! ;-)

John N